Rule following and being “right” don’t matter in the real world. Outside of the classroom, compliance and waiting for permission are weaknesses, not strengths.
The Only Two Things That Matter in the Market
- The ability to create value for others.
- The ability to persuade others of your value creation potential.
That’s it. Can you create more value than you cost and can you convince others that you can?
It’s not your school, your grades, your network, your knowledge, your talent, your skill, your experience, or anything else you may have been told. Those things are only useful insofar as they help you do #1 or #2.
This is the most empowering revelation I can imagine. Don’t let it scare you. Value creation opportunities are everywhere, for every level of skill and knowledge.
This brief presentation will cover the following points to hammer home the importance of these two things:
- Ability to create value for others.
- Not about “objective” value (opportunity cost!) – 3:26
- Not about what’s hard or easy – 5:18
- Not about what takes lots of skill or smarts – 5:44
- Highest value is being able to figure out without asking – 6:40
- Ability to learn what needs to be done (learning to the task, not more) – 8:26
- Ability to turn “we should” into “I did” – 9:54
- Ability to just get stuff done! – 10:48
- Ability to persuade others of your value creation potential.
- Everything is a signal – 11:14
- Reputation in person – 12:35
- Reputation online – 13:23
- Start with the easy small stuff – 13:49
- Tell, don’t ask – 14:36
- No existential overhead…awake at night test – 15:10
- It’s the small stuff consistently done (daily blogging) – 16:08
The Praxis program you are embarking on will help you do both #1 and #2, and push you to get better every day. We’ll jump right in with tangible projects to create value for yourself, and then your business partner. You’ll build a personal website and pitch deck, improve your digital footprint and brand, and create a powerful signal that demonstrates your value creation potential.
A Few Extra Resources: