Want to be a standout candidate when you’re applying for a job? Stop relying on your résumé to sail you through the application process! Here’s how to get started:
Tell your story, not your status.
In “Tell Me Your Story, Not Your Status” Isaac Morehouse explains why the traditional résumé does no good at showing who you actually are.
It’s boring to go through, and hiring managers get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.
Rest assured, there is a better option!
At Praxis, we have participants create something different.
For starters, their work experience is showcased in a pitch deck, which they modify depending on the company they are applying to. In short, a pitch deck is a visual résumé that tells a story. Learn more about pitch decks here.
Secondly, every Praxis participant creates an “About Me” video- 45-90 seconds of a professional pitch- without mentioning the things you’d traditionally see on a résumé.
Here’s a great example created by Praxis participant Joseph Pas:
What makes Joe’s video amazing:
- It’s original. Only Joe Pas could have made this, and it’s obvious.
- It communicates his top skills clearly. It’s obvious that he’s confident in his copywriting and editing abilities.
- It’s creative. It communicate’s Joe’s skills in a way that employer’s can’t help but love!
- It’s unforgettable. Joe’s skills wouldn’t look the same on a plain résumé, but this video would stand out to any potential employer!
Interested in learning more about Joe? Check out his website here.
Sure, maybe this video alone won’t land you a job, but it certainly will make people excited to work with you! Here’s a step by step process for making one of your own:
Goal: get companies excited to work with you WITHOUT mentioning your education level, résumé, or previous work experience.
- Think about your previous work experience. How have they shaped you into the person you are today?
- How have you created value for other people, at work or not? Identify those moments that make you come alive.
- What are some skills you have that no one else does? Everyone has skills that are unique to them- what are yours?
- What are some big ideas that tie into your career philosophy?
- Create a short video introducing yourself. Highlight the skills and ideas that are unique to you. What makes you different from other people as a job candidate? Why should anyone be excited about working with you?
Ideally, you’ll send this video along with a value prop and a pitch deck if you’re applying for a specific job. The pitch deck creates a narrative arc of your past work experience, ending with the company you’re pitching to. A value prop is a project that you create to get your foot in the door of the company. These three creations work together to be a much stronger job application than any résumé.
Good luck on that job search!