Last month Praxis hosted 50 homeschoolers at Homeschool Teen Career Day at Strongbox West in Atlanta, Georgia so they could learn the ins and outs of how to build a bulletproof career and stand out as a young professional.
Attendees listened to lectures and engaged in Q&As with top entrepreneurs in Atlanta who provided unique insights and actionable advice on what they look for in job applicants and how to make yourself a valuable asset early in your career.
A few Praxis participants and alumni gave talks on how they used their homeschool background and Praxis apprenticeships as leverage to build successful startup careers.
Attendees left this event with a foundational understanding of how to take their status as young professionals and create an awesome career with or without a degree!
(Above) Praxis graduate James Walpole kicking off the event with his talk entitled My Journey From Clueless Student to Marketing Manager, the story of how he went from 18-year-old high school graduate to startup employee to Marketing and Communications Manager at Bitpay, the world’s leading Bitcoin payments company.
Here are some highlights from the event:
- CEO of Reliant Technology, Reid Smith-Vaniz, shared his advice for how young people can set themselves up for success early on in their lives.
- Praxis alumnus Olivia Donaldson shared her unconventional education story as a former homeschooler and speech and debate student who moved 1500 miles for her marketing apprenticeship at RippleIT.
- Praxis Advisor and Managing Editor of FEE, Dan Sanchez, discussed the Praxis advising experience: “Praxis participants are in charge of their own growth, and Praxis serves them as a resource, a facilitator, and a coach.”
- Charles Porges, who joined Praxis at 17 and is now a sales executive at GuildQuality, talked to attendees about his tips for jumpstarting your career without college: “Not only am I free from the cage of state-mandated education, but I know that every action I’m taking is for the purpose of creating a better version of myself.”
- Praxis graduate and Senior Business Development Representative at Reliant Technology, Nick Rundlett, reenacted how he used a value proposition to land his job at a fast-growing startup.
Thanks to all who attended! We hope to hold many more events like this in the future to help more and more young people jumpstart meaningful lives and careers for themselves.
P.S. Homeschoolers! There’s only a week and a half left to apply for a full-ride $11k Praxis Homeschool Scholarship. The deadline to start your application and be considered for this scholarship is December 31st, 2017. Launch your career in only 12 months and APPLY NOW!