You’re probably not thinking about your career seriously yet. You’re not alone.
Many teens push professional goals aside and just focus on getting through high school.
Then college time hits and they’re left with just focusing on getting through college. After that? You guessed it. They just get through work, left wondering what they missed in high school and college.
Your professional life doesn’t have to be boring and life-sucking. In fact, it should be fun!
Want to launch your career right? Start today to set yourself apart. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Teach yourself an instrument. (Don’t get a teacher. Learn it yourself.)
- Build a website. No one else has a personal website at your age! Document your high school experience and your projects there!
- Teach someone else a skill. What better way to pass on what you know?
- Learn a skill set that is uncommon today. Study something like blacksmithing or knitting.
- Blog every day for a month. See if it won’t change your writing skills.
- Do anything every day for a month. You’d be surprised at the skills you build by sticking to something for thirty days.
- Set your goals in 30-day segments. Want to learn something new? Build a 30-day project around that goal.
- Read x amount every single day. Instead of setting a huge goal of reading a certain amount of books, start small. Read 30 pages every day, or 20, or 10: whatever you feel you can handle. 20 pages per day is 140 pages per week. That’s a small book’s amount! Besides, once you get started reading, you’re more likely to keep going.
- Complete a short course. The Praxis Teen Entrepreneurship Course is a great idea of a small course that will add value to your mind and your life!
- Go to conferences. Meet up with other people that think like you. Challenge your mind to think outside the box. Build your network young!
- Volunteer. There are hundreds of ways you can give back to your community and invest in yourself at the same time!
- Get a part-time job. Nothing will give you better experience than working in the market and making money for it.
- Find a mentor. Do you have big goals or ideas? Find someone ahead of you in those goals and learn from them. Better yet, do some free work for them and show them how much their advice matters to you.
- Start a podcast. Want to share your ideas with the world? It’s not hard to get started podcasting! You’ll build public speaking and content creation skills to boot.
- Learn how to email well. This is a skill you’ll need in your career. Learn it now.
- Explore theories behind each of the subjects you’re learning.There’s so much more to Math than 1+1. Watch some Youtubes about Mathematical theory. They’ll blow your mind! Study the history behind the English language. It just takes some Googling!
- Read Breaking Smart. This series of essays will change the way you think about technology and its future.
- Start a small business.
- Dive into things as soon as they interest you. When those big questions hit you, take advantage of them. Research until you are tired of the subject. Write a paper on what you learned.
- Ask for recommendations. Some of the best books I have read were recommended to me by colleagues and peers. Same goes for videos, podcasts, and many other forms of content.
- Learn something new every day. Above all, make the commitment to never stop growing! Don’t fall into the rut of checking boxes. Take control of your learning today!
What do you think? Are these good ways to launch your career today? We’ll help you get started. Schedule a call with a Praxis advisor to learn how we can help you get a head start on a career you love today!